[Nhcoll-l] Shelves load capasity

Carrie A. Eaton carrie at geology.wisc.edu
Tue Aug 17 10:47:41 EDT 2021

Hi Joosep,
The load capacity is largely driven by the material from which the shelf is made (steel, I assume?) but a big portion of what controls the shelf’s carrying capacity is the post construction (the uprights that hold the shelf) and how that load is transferred to the floor. You also have to take in account the weight of the shelf itself. So a steel shelf with a 500lb capacity and 100lb of steel decking that makes up the shelf would only hold 400lb of objects. Having just dealt with some difficulties with inadequate load capacities, I would highly encourage you to inquire with the manufacturer and get a good estimate of the shelf’s carrying capacity before putting objects on it. This was also save your back the trouble of having to lift objects multiple times. Best of luck!
Cheers,
Carrie

Carrie Eaton, Museum Curator
UW Geology Museum