[Nhcoll-l] Shelves load capasity

Gali Beiner gali.beiner at mail.huji.ac.il
Tue Aug 17 11:13:41 EDT 2021

Hello Joosep,

Adding to Carrie's notes:

1. The floor carrying capacity is also important. If your shelving is
planned for a floor other than the basement, the floor carrying capacity
will vary considerably, depnding on the consruction specifics of the
building. A consrtuction engineer should be able to give you an estimate of
that. In our case, the university construction maintenance personnel guided
us re: possibility of setting up this or that type of shelving in specific
locations. It wasn't as simple as it sounds because our building wasn't new
so we had to change some of our original shelving plans due to estimated
floor carrying capacity.

2. Type of shelving matters also in terms of static vs. moving (compactor)
shelving. The way the type of shelving interacts with the floor carrying
capacity is what you need to know so you can determine the safe maximum
load per square meter.

3. Prior to installing new shelving (in our case, compactors in basement
floors) I chose several shelves with extra heavy loads in our old
collection storage system and actually weighed everything on these shelves
to determine real numbers of maximum weight our shelves would be required
to carry. We dealt both with wet and dry collections, so the (maximum)
weight per shelf in each collection type could vary considerably. You could
do the same to determine your own requirements, take 10 shelves or so,
weigh their contents and round upward the highest numbers as your minimum
weight capacity guideline.

Hope this helps,

Gali

בתאריך יום ג׳, 17 באוג׳ 2021, 17:47, מאת Carrie A. Eaton ‏<