[Nhcoll-l] Mobile app for collection in the field

Jutta Buschbom jutta.buschbom at statistical-genetics.de
Thu Jan 14 16:10:50 EST 2021

Dear Eirik,

our team is developing GIS Collective (https://giscollective.com/) for
this purpose. The digital platform is allowing users to gather data in
the field using maps and efficiently collaborate on projects.

The platform originated in the sustainability field and is already in
use by the Open Green Map community (https://www.opengreenmap.org/home).
It enables diverse communities of users to collect, manage and visualize
geospatial data with user-defined sets of attributes.

Currently, we are expanding its functionality for application in the
biodiversity sciences and the seamless integration into their digital
work flows. Our first use case is a country-level monitoring project of
a pollinator species. We are looking for additional use cases.

If you are interested in using the app and becoming an early adopter,
please contact us.

These are the platforms main principles and some technical information:
* Own your data! You can use the app as software-as-a-service or install
it on your own server.
* Access management is implemented both for data and users.
* Import and export functionality, as well as, an API enable
interoperability.
* The app currently runs in the browser with layouts for mobile devices.
The goal is to develop native mobile apps for online and offline use in
the field.
* We aim for a user-friendly and modern experience both for digital
non-natives and power-users.
* The software is open-source with a tiered license model. This includes
a free license option providing the functionality needed by individual
users and small teams.

Best wishes,

Jutta Buschbom

Statistical Genetics