[Nhcoll-l] Heatsealer

Gali Beiner gali.beiner at mail.huji.ac.il
Thu Jan 21 11:23:26 EST 2021

Hi,

Just adfing my two cents: We use a foot pedal heat sealer so that making
large bags for oddly-shaped specimens is also possible.

As for insect mortality rates, the big deal is to shock-freeze at once,
i.e. put the objects in their bags into a working freezer which is
immediately closed. This should prevent any pests from developing
cold-resistance. If the procedure is properly applied, any survivors are
likely to be due either to not low enough temperatures or an extremely
resistant species. *Most* species shouldn't survive minus 28 degrees or
lower. There are mortality rate publications. Double freezing is intended
to catch new hatchlings from eggs, rather than kill any hatched larvae or
adults from the first freeze. The two-week interval in between the fist and
second freeze is supposed to alliw for hatching, so if this procedure is
followed specimens should not be taken out of their sealed bags.

Best wishes to all,

Gali

בתאריך יום ה׳, 21 בינו׳ 2021, 16:54, מאת Lennart Lennuk ‏<