[Nhcoll-l] ATTENTION ORNITHOLOGISTS AND MUSEUMS who import/export migratory birds: please help address an issue with USFWS by filling out our survey!

Carla Cicero ccicero at berkeley.edu
Sat Jun 19 09:41:26 EDT 2021

Many in the broader ornithological community rely on the issuance of
import/export permits from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to do their
work. It has come to our attention that the USFWS formalized their
Migratory Bird Import/Export Standard Procedures in 2019, and that more
consistency among regions may be implemented with respect to these
procedures.  According to these standards, each shipment would be required
to be specified on the face of the permit (including date range, shipment
origin/destination, species, type of specimen, and quantity) to be MBTA
compliant. Thus, blanket permits for migratory bird import/export may no
longer be issued. We are concerned this will cause undue burden for
researchers and museums who import/export migratory birds for scientific
purposes. In preparation for addressing this issue with USFWS, we are
gathering information about MBTA permits from current or recent permit
holders.

Please complete this short survey
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScWamklPolG9LNufY856caZC-HRTBJ-ndD8roZAqNCG12NQSg/viewform>
*no
later than 2 July 2021* if you have a current MBTA permit, or have had one
within the past five years.

We will keep the community updated on our efforts.  Thank you!

Sincerely,

Laura Bies, Ornithological Council Executive Director

Carla Cicero and John Bates, American Ornithological Society Collections
Committee Co-Chairs

--
Carla Cicero, Ph.D
Staff Curator of Birds