[Nhcoll-l] Does freezing prior to fixing affect cartilage in fluid specimens?

Beth Wommack ewommack at berkeley.edu
Tue Jun 22 18:28:21 EDT 2021

Hello everyone,

We have a professor who is interested in gill rakers in fish, and presented
me with a question that I was hoping I could get everyone's opinion on.

If you freeze a fish and then thaw it to fix in formalin -> storage in
ETOH, will the cartilage structures in the fish be compromised by the
freezing process?

I know that freezing can distort the soft tissue, but am not sure how the
process may affect the cartilage structures.

Any thoughts and advice are greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Beth Wommack

--
Elizabeth Wommack, PhD
Curator and Collections Manager of Vertebrates

<ewommack at berkeley.edu>