[Nhcoll-l] collecting the amphibians and reptiles

John E Simmons simmons.johne at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 21:41:48 EDT 2021

Thanks to Dirk for recommending *Herpetological Collecting and Collections
Management*. In that book I have tried to address all the essentials for
collecting, preserving, and managing a collection. Make sure you get the
3rd edition (2015) as it is the most up-to-date.

The issue of collecting ethics is addressed in the book, but I agree with
Jessa that the ASIH guidelines are important to read as well.

One issue that is not covered in detail in *Herpetological Collecting and
Collections Management* (due to lack of space) is collecting and preserving
tissue collections for molecular work. However, this topic is well covered
in Tony Gamble's book, *Collecting and Preserving Genetic Material for
Herpetological Research* (2014), available from
https://www.amazon.com/Collecting-Preserving-Material-Herpetological-Research/dp/0916984885

If you have any questions about collecting, preserving, or managing
specimens of reptiles and amphibians, please let me know.

--John

John E. Simmons
Writer and Museum Consultant
Museologica
*and*
Associate Curator of Collections
Earth and Mineral Science Museum & Art Gallery
Penn State University
*and*
Investigador Asociado, Departamento de Ornitologia
Museo de Historia Natural, Universidad Nacional Mayor de San Marcos, Lima