[Nhcoll-l] Alcohol concentration for terrestrial vertebrates

Dirk Neumann neumann at snsb.de
Fri May 7 09:43:11 EDT 2021

Dear Mare,

are you sure that this is only ethanol, and not something like Kew-mix
or a similar mixture? I am wondering because the EtOH concentration is
rather low, which might be an indication that further ingredients might
be included in this preservation fluid.

Originally, Kew-mixture was 53% EtOH, 37% water, 5% formaldehyde, and 5%
glycerol. As far as I know, the formula was changed to 70% ETOH, 29%
water, and 1% glycerol in the 2nd edition of The Herbarium Handbook
(1989). But I am not a botanists, and others might be in a better
position for giving advice?

Strong dehydration of cells can be an issue, this is why the glycerol is
added.

With best wishes
Dirk

Am 07.05.2021 um 14:53 schrieb Mare Nazaire:
> [...]
>     could find obvious shrinking. Today we are careful
>
>     1.To keep the specimens in 70% (not more, not less)
>
>     2.Not to rinse to much in water. Rather remove the formalin from
>     the surface of the specimen only.
>
>     3.Don´t change the fluid if it is not necessary.
>
>     4.If you have to remove all fluid, add maybe 80-90% of fresh (70%)
>     ethanol and the rest used ethanol from another specimen.
>
>     All formalin fixed specimens has a small amount of formalin left -
>     that is good.
>
>     Some substances in the specimen dissolve in the alcohol (just look
>     at an alcohol preserved Anguilla…). Every change of alcohol add to
>     the removing of lipids etc - that is bad.
>
>     As far as we know, formalin was used for the first time at the NRM
>     in 1904, but only occasionally! Still in the 1940s ethanol was
>     commonly used for fixation in the field. When the museum moved
>     from downtown Stockholm to north of the city in 1916, the economy
>     for alcohol was reduced due to world war I (otherwise Sweden was
>     not involved). This led to the invention to use a diluted formalin
>     solution for the exhibition jars (for specimens fixed in
>     ethanol!). The research collection continued to be stored in
>     ethanol. Our collection is old. We estimate that our oldest
>     specimens in ethanol are from the 1720s (from the Seba
>     collection). Still many specimens from before 1758 are in
>     remarkable good condition. In some specimens it is even possible
>     to get small pieces of DNA with ancient DNA technic – but usually
>     not. This sounds contradicting to some statements above. We don’t
>     know too much about the preservation history of these specimens,
>     but what we know might be of general interest. The initial
>     fixation and preservation was in distilled wine (=“spiritus
>     vini”). We don’t know the concentration, and probably it was not
>     pure ethanol, but also contained small amount of other fractions
>     from the wine, more like strong cognac. The Royal collection (of
>     king Adolf Fredrik with many Linnaean types) was donated to the
>     Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences in 1801. NRM was founded in
>     1819, but immediately in practice fused with the Academy. In 1848
>     the collections of the Academy was formally donated to the Museum.
>     From the 1740s to 1970 this collection of  vertebrates in alcohol
>     was moved four times. Jars and fluid was probably changed twice.
>     But most of the time the collection was stored cool and dark.
>     Glasses and fluids was expensive so the ratio: specimen volume /
>     conservation fluid volume was high up to 1900.  From 1801-1898 the
>     major part seems to have been almost untouched, except that the
>     whole collection was moved 1500 meters in 1829.
>
>     I was once asked how long a specimen could be stored in alcohol.
>     With the reservation that our old specimens will be stored like
>     today, no sudden disasters etc (and no climate change), I decided
>     that to 2220 = 500 years would be possible, maybe 1000 years.

Dirk Neumann

Tel: 089 / 8107-111
Fax: 089 / 8107-300
neumann(a)snsb.de