[Nhcoll-l] no data specimens

Susan Gallagher sugal at ptd.net
Thu Oct 14 10:59:09 EDT 2021

Long-time list-lurker here. Just wanted to add to this thread a huge
thank-you to everyone in collections who considers donations to
education centers.

Many are in perpetual need as their collections are, as I like to say
around here, doomed for the dust bin. Our limited resources for
collections care and our habit of allowing kids to touch things (or take
them home, as is the case with this brilliant shell bucket idea)
translate into things not lasting anywhere near as long as they
otherwise would.

Having worked with elementary and middle school kids in environmental ed
for a long time, I can tell you that incorporating a kid's sense of
touch into our lessons is increasingly important--true for adults too.
My guess is many of you, like me, were influenced by these kinds of
touching/collecting experiences as a kid. Thank you all for remembering
that and for helping to make it possible for the kiddos who come after you.

Sue

Susan Gallagher, Chief Naturalist
Carbon County Environmental Education Center
151 East White Bear Drive
Summit Hill, PA  18250

sugal at ptd.net
www.carboneec.org