[Nhcoll-l] no data specimens

Barry OConnor bmoc at umich.edu
Thu Oct 14 12:52:52 EDT 2021

Not skin related, but we have a lot of old, no-data insect specimens. Most
of those we keep are unique, rare or the species occur in exotic locales no
longer extant/accessible. Studying mites associated with insects, I've
found quite a few on these specimens. While I wouldn't describe anything
new from these, they do provide a source of comparative specimens of
described species. We also use these for art/scientific illustration
students.
All the best! -  Barry

On Thu, Oct 14, 2021 at 12:43 PM Bentley, Andrew Charles <abentley at ku.edu>
wrote:

> Catherine
>

>    1. There are all sorts of techniques like genetic, ectoparasite and
>    environmental work that can be done on these skins that may yield data that
>    is useful even if provenance is unknown.  I agree that you have to balance
>    this against space and resource limitations but maybe imaging and keeping
>    portions of the skins for genetic analysis would be doable if not keeping
>    the whole animal
>    2. This is a slippery slope I agree and donating these to educational
>    facilities is the way to go.  There are a myriad of these in your own and
>    area and beyond that would be grateful for the materials.  Our mission is
>    not only to serve the research community but the educational community
>    too.  There are all sorts of negative connotations regarding deaccessioning
>    to members of the general public etc. that I would deem fraught with issues
>    and would not attempt.
>

> Andy
>
>     A  :             A  :             A  :
>  }<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<)))_°>
>     V                V                V
> Andy Bentley
> Ichthyology Collection Manager
> University of Kansas
> Biodiversity Institute
>
> Dyche Hall
> 1345 Jayhawk Boulevard
> Lawrence, KS, 66045-7561
> USA
>
> Tel: (785) 864-3863
> Fax: (785) 864-5335
> Email: abentley at ku.edu
>
> http://ichthyology.biodiversity.ku.edu
>
>     A  :             A  :             A  :
>     V                V                V

-So many mites, so little time!
Barry M. OConnor
Emeritus Professor  & Curator
Research Museums Center
University of Michigan                  phone: 734-763-4354
3600 Varsity Drive                         fax: 734-763-4080
Ann Arbor, MI 48108-2228          e-mail: bmoc at umich.edu