[Nhcoll-l] Vacuum for specimens, more thoughts and questions

Ian Hart ihart at calacademy.org
Fri Sep 17 12:00:08 EDT 2021

Hi All,

In the exhibitions department at the California Academy of Sciences we have
been using Festool CT Mini vacs for general maintenance, fabrication, and
also the cleaning of taxidermy on display, some of which is arsenated
(using a separate set of attachments and accessories).  The festool vacuums
are HEPA rated and have variable power control. There is an optional hose
with a braided cover which is worth the extra money-it's supple and doesn't
kink and bounce around the way typical vacuum tubes do. We also have a
Nilfisk hip vac which is _occasionally_ very useful.

The Festool Mini is a nice size and very versatile- it can handle big jobs
and with the right attachments it's good for delicate work. It can fit
nicely on a two person scissor lift; it will even go on a 1 person mast
lift if needed.

Do others use Festool HEPA Vacs? Or Fein? How do you think they compare to
the Nilfisk offerings? We purchased the Festool because it cost less than
the Nilfisks favored by many institutions (and which I was predisposed to
choose).  Any opinions about safety, performance, durability, or total cost
of operation?

--
Ian Hart

Preparator