[Nhcoll-l] Vacuum for specimens, more thoughts and questions

Margaret Geiss-Mooney meg at textileconservator.com
Fri Sep 17 14:05:51 EDT 2021

Good afternoon!  I have been using my Festool CT Mini for more than 20 years now in my conservation practice (both in my lab and on-site work). I purchased 2 sets of everything (including that braided covered hose) so I can have one set of hoses/tools air drying while I continue work with the other set. I have also used the Festool both in dry and in wet situations. And let’s hear it for it’s quiet operation when on and for that really long cord to plug it in, too. I highly recommend the Festool CT mini vacs when I teach workshops as they are (and they needed replacement bags and filters) usually easily available to purchase.

… using Festool CT Mini vacs for general maintenance, fabrication, and also the cleaning of taxidermy on display, some of which is arsenated (using a separate set of attachments and accessories).  The festool vacuums are HEPA rated and have variable power control. There is an optional hose with a braided cover which is worth the extra money-it's supple and doesn't kink and bounce around the way typical vacuum tubes do. We also have a Nilfisk hip vac which is _occasionally_ very useful.

The Festool Mini is a nice size and very versatile- it can handle big jobs and with the right attachments it's good for delicate work. It can fit nicely on a two person scissor lift; it will even go on a 1 person mast lift if needed.

Do others use Festool HEPA Vacs? Or Fein? How do you think they compare to the Nilfisk offerings? We purchased the Festool because it cost less than the Nilfisks favored by many institutions (and which I was predisposed to choose).  Any opinions about safety, performance, durability, or total cost of operation?

Regards,

Meg

Margaret E. Geiss-Mooney

(she/her/hers)

Textile/Costume Conservator &
Collections Management Consultant
Professional Associate - AIC
707-763-8694
meg at textileconservator.com

"Never, ever be afraid to make some noise and get in good trouble, necessary trouble.”  John Lewis