[Nhcoll-l] using raman spectrometer in fluid collections

Sytske de Waart sytske.dewaart at naturalis.nl
Fri Dec 9 07:55:44 EST 2022

dear all,

At Naturalis Biodiversity Center we have a large fluid collection
(estimated 1 miljoen jars). We currently (this year and next year) work on
eliminating a backlog of about 130.000 jars.
Specimens can be on ethanol, formalin, glycerol, Steedman's fluid etc. To
help us distinguish between different fluids, without having to open the
jar, we have been trying out a handheld raman spectrometer
<https://www.metrohm.com/en/products/metrohm-means-spectroscopy.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiA1sucBhDgARIsAFoytUu_0NeoFoqtjUOkHuFnlHou61A8pN_e80SplAzdsTz07jxABxLlkPgaAgq9EALw_wcB>
for
two weeks. It meets our expectations: it is fast (10 seconds per
measurement), you can make your own library with fluids, it is easy to use,
it identifies the fluid in 87% of the jars (the remaining 13% inconclusive
might be due to contaminated fluids with fat, dirt or colourants from the
specimen). The downside is of course the price: 33K euros (ex VAT). Though
we can get a discount, it is still a lot of money.

So my question to you is: who has experience with the use of a raman
spectrometer in fluid collections? Do you use it often, and for what? Does
it meet expectations, is it useful for other purposes in the collection?
Thanks for sharing your thoughts about this topic with me!

best regards/Met vriendelijke groet,

Sytske de Waart
coördinator fluid collections
<https://naturalis-public-media-assets.s3.eu-central-1.amazonaws.com/Naturalis-mail-signature/logo.png>