[Nhcoll-l] using raman spectrometer in fluid collections

Fabian Neisskenwirth info at naturhistorische-konservierung.de
Fri Dec 9 10:19:42 EST 2022

Dear Sytske,

I used a handheld Raman-Spectrometer for exactly the same purpose during
my master study for a relatively small collection of around 100
specimens. The results are amazing. Fast and reliable information about
the main composition of the fluid is gathered without opening jars. This
is not just time saving, but also much less of risk for the collection
staff and the specimens. So I deeply encourage you to make all the
effort in getting this device, since you would be setting a big
milestone as an institution.

Besides, Raman-Spectroscopy is not only helpful in detecting
preservation fluids, but all kind of materials. So you can argue that
the use of the device is not only focused for the fluid collection, but
all kind of different collections, like dry specimens that may contain
harmful substances, as arsenic or heavy metals.

Sophie Cersoy from the MNHN in Paris has good experience using
stationary Raman-Spectrometers, you may have read her Paper on the topic
in the Collection Forum from 2020. So get in touch with her as well.

I can give you my own results too if you are interested, just write to
me on a private thread.

I so envious that you maybe can get on of these devices!! hahaha. So do it!

All the best from the Ruhrarea,