[Nhcoll-l] difficult locality label

Callomon,Paul prc44 at drexel.edu
Tue Feb 15 07:51:19 EST 2022

I've scored some good leads to obscure/outdated/colloquial place names and place/people collocations from newspapers.com, though you'll need a subscription to see the details. A remarkable number of English-language newspapers from non-English-speaking countries are now online, which can help with (for example) anglicized Chinese and Pacific place names. Obituaries in local newspapers can be a gold mine, as they often bring together a person's name and the places they once lived for the first and only time in print and thus online.

Paul Callomon
Collection Manager, Malacology and General Invertebrates
Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University
1900 Benjamin Franklin Parkway, Philadelphia PA 19103-1195, USA
prc44 at drexel.edu<mailto:prc44 at drexel.edu> Tel 215-405-5096 - Fax 215-299-1170