[Nhcoll-l] difficult locality label

Dirk Neumann neumann at snsb.de
Tue Feb 15 15:46:05 EST 2022

Interesting to know that in the northeaster-most corner of Bavaria, in
Hof (also called Bavarian-Siberia because of the cold winters), they
developed such a nice tool; thanks for sharing, Doug!

Also a good source for old(er) place names are the historic maps that
are provided online by the University of Texas, Austin:
https://maps.lib.utexas.edu/maps/index.html
Larger farms, settlements or missionary stations can be found in them
for some countries (occasionally, local spellings can be a bit
'flexible'); but it's good to know in which areas of a country you
should search to restrict the area you need to look up. Always good to
check plausibility of results from old maps with modern spellings
offered on other web resources, and to note the original source of
information in the remarks field or similar in the database, so that the
source is clear (and traceable).

Hope this is useful
Dirk

Am 15.02.2022 um 13:51 schrieb Callomon,Paul:

> I’ve scored some good leads to obscure/outdated/colloquial place names
> and place/people collocations from newspapers.com, though you’ll need
> a subscription to see the details. A remarkable number of
> English-language newspapers from non-English-speaking countries are
> now online, which can help with (for example) anglicized Chinese and
> Pacific place names. Obituaries in local newspapers can be a gold
> mine, as they often bring together a person’s name and the places they
> once lived for the first and only time in print and thus online.
>
> Paul Callomon
>
> Collection Manager, Malacology and General Invertebrates//

> *Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University***
>
> 1900 Benjamin Franklin Parkway, Philadelphia PA 19103-1195, USA
> /prc44 at drexel.edu <mailto:prc44 at drexel.edu> Tel 215-405-5096 - Fax
> 215-299-1170/

Dirk Neumann

Tel: 089 / 8107-111
Fax: 089 / 8107-300
neumann(a)snsb.de

Postanschrift:

Staatliche Naturwissenschaftliche Sammlungen Bayerns
Zoologische Staatssammlung München
Dirk Neumann, Sektion Ichthyologie / DNA-Storage
Münchhausenstr. 21
81247 München

Besuchen Sie unsere Sammlung:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/sektion/ichthyologie-home/

---------

Dirk Neumann

Tel: +49-89-8107-111
Fax: +49-89-8107-300
neumann(a)snsb.de

postal address:

Bavarian Natural History Collections
The Bavarian State Collection of Zoology
Dirk Neumann, Section Ichthyology / DNA-Storage
Muenchhausenstr. 21
81247 Munich (Germany)

Visit our section at:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/sektion/ichthyologie-home/