[Nhcoll-l] Seeking IPM Advice

Anderson, Gretchen AndersonG at CarnegieMNH.Org
Mon Feb 28 15:54:02 EST 2022

Hi Karen,

It is a lovely case. I can see why you want to keep it.  Do you see any pest evidence in the case or on the taxidermy?

I recommend that you clean it- inside and out - as best as you can.  Make sure that you clean the interior, getting into all of the crevices.  If you can remove the deck, remove it and clean it.  Use soft brushes and a vacuum cleaner (preferably a HEPA vacuum). Clean under it.  Examine it closely with a flashlight.  Close it up and put a trap (sticky trap/monitor) inside and under it.  Check the traps over the next few months.  A thorough cleaning should make the case useful and pest free.

Good luck!
Gretchen

Gretchen Anderson
Conservator
Carnegie Museum of Natural History
(Preferred  pronouns: she/her)
AndersonG at CarnegieMNH.Org<mailto:AndersonG at CarnegieMNH.Org>
Mobile: 412-420-9083

From: Nhcoll-l <nhcoll-l-bounces at mailman.yale.edu> On Behalf Of KAREN DUBROFF
Sent: Monday, February 28, 2022 2:48 PM
To: nhcoll-l at mailman.yale.edu
Subject: [Nhcoll-l] Seeking IPM Advice

Dear all,

We recently accepted a transfer of a large taxidermy specimen and its case (see attached photo of the case). We were able to place the specimen in our isolation freezer, however, the case is too large to fit and cannot be sufficiently disassembled. Our exhibits team would like to keep the case for display at the museum. Unfortunately, the case was part of a display in a non-museum setting for well over a decade, which is concerning from an IPM perspective, specifically with the completely sealed, presumably hollow, base.

I'm thus coming to you for advice and recommendations regarding pest mitigation for the case.

Many thanks in advance,
Karen

Karen DuBroff
Associate Registrar, Loans and Exhibitions
Pronouns: she, her, hers

Natural History Museum of Utah
(801) 587-5774
University of Utah
301 Wakara Way
Salt Lake City, Utah 84108

The information contained in this message and/or attachments is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any system and destroy any copies. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender.