[Nhcoll-l] Google Earth fix?

Douglas Yanega dyanega at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 14:41:01 EST 2022

On 1/6/22 11:03 AM, Marie Angel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In Geolocate’s collaborative georeferencing web client
> (https://www.geo-locate.org/web/WebComGeoref.aspx), if you click on
> the small blue and white plus sign on the right side, it will show
> different base layers and overlays. Under “overlays” there is an
> option to show US counties.
>
> I hope this helps!

Hi, Marie.

Now that you point out where this feature is, it's good to see that they
have it. However, what would help here is if GeoLocate had a more
user-friendly interface. I can't see how you and other using GL can deal
with specimen label data capture without introducing unnecessary
uncertainty.

Consider this specimen label:

17 mi W Carrizozo, Lincoln Co., NM

Unless I'm missing something, GeoLocate does not have a tool to create a
path that measures *exactly 17 road miles* W of Carrizozo. Google Earth
does. It turns out, in fact, using Google Earth with the county lines
layer restored, that this locality label is wrong, because if you drive
17 miles west from Carrizozo (there's only one road, and it goes mostly
NW), you cross the county line into Socorro county at around 13 miles. I
don't see a way to tell in GL how far that county line is from
Carrizozo, the way you can using Google Earth.

When I was researching georeferencing protocols for legacy specimens
(anything without lat/long data on the label) for a major NSF grant, I
did numerous side-by-side comparisons of various available tools, and
while GeoLocate gave very rapid answers, it always underperformed in
terms of accuracy, with a much higher error rate and uncertainty radius
compared to manual lookups using Google Earth. Points generated using GL
would often be several miles away from the actual location, so what one
saved in time (admittedly substantial) was undermined by a very
significant loss of accuracy. I can give very concrete examples, for
anyone interested in nitpicky details.

Thanks,

              https://faculty.ucr.edu/~heraty/yanega.html