[Nhcoll-l] Guidelines for concrete curing times

Dirk Neumann neumann at snsb.de
Tue Mar 1 17:21:03 EST 2022

Hi Bethany,

it might be worth contacting the Doerner Institute in Munich; it is the
art restoration institute of the Pinakotheken in Munich and one of the
leading institutes; they published the conference proceedings /Climate
for collections | standards and uncertainties | Munich/
<https://www.climateforculture.eu/index.php?inhalt=download&file=pages/user/downloads/publications/Climate_for_Collections.pdf>2012
(454 p); also the latest art gallery building, the Neue Pinakethek, is
entirely concrete.

On page 149 in the PDF is a reference to a model construction by the
Danish Building research institute (SBi) at aalborg University,
http://www.bsim.dk; perhaps also worth contacting colleagues there.

The key question surely is which kind of concrete is used, there is a
huge variety.  It might be worth checking with builders/planners of your
new museum, to be sure which curing times you are looking for / looking
at. Might also be worth checking hydraulic properties of the concrete
used to understand the potential influence of the concrete on relative
humidity values in the galleries.

Hope this helps
Dirk

Am 01.03.2022 um 10:48 schrieb Bethany Palumbo:
> Hi all,
>
> We are currently building a new museum site and much of the
> construction will be concrete, including exposed concrete walls and
> floors in galleries. I am looking for guidelines regarding the true
> curing time of concrete, and how long we should wait before installing
> the exhibitions. I have guidelines for paint and plaster but none for
> concrete if used as an interior finish.
>
> As always your guidance and advice is greatly appreciated.
>
> With many thanks,
> --
> Bethany Palumbo, ACR
> Head of Conservation Unit
>
> Statens Naturhistoriske Museum
> Universitetsparken 15, 2100 København
>

> Twitter | @bethany_bug
> Instagram | @palumbo_conservation

> society. Seehttp://www.spnhc.org  for membership information.

Dirk Neumann

Tel: 089 / 8107-111
Fax: 089 / 8107-300
neumann(a)snsb.de

Postanschrift:

Staatliche Naturwissenschaftliche Sammlungen Bayerns
Zoologische Staatssammlung München
Dirk Neumann, Sektion Ichthyologie / DNA-Storage
Münchhausenstr. 21
81247 München

Besuchen Sie unsere Sammlung:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/sektion/ichthyologie-home/

---------

Dirk Neumann

Tel: +49-89-8107-111
Fax: +49-89-8107-300
neumann(a)snsb.de

postal address:

Bavarian Natural History Collections
The Bavarian State Collection of Zoology
Dirk Neumann, Section Ichthyology / DNA-Storage
Muenchhausenstr. 21
81247 Munich (Germany)

Visit our section at:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/sektion/ichthyologie-home/