[Nhcoll-l] Advice on removing specimens from glass tubes

Alan Resetar aresetar at fieldmuseum.org
Wed Mar 2 12:20:55 EST 2022

The Field Museum has a collection of preserved herps that was displayed in
a home. The son of the homeowner said that his dad kept live herps and
preserved them after death. Based on the species included, the collection
dates from the 1950's and 1960's. The father worked in drug manufacturing
and had access to discarded glassware. Attached photo shows a Drymarchon
(in 60 cm. glass tube with rubber plugs), a Dracaena (in test tube-shaped
bottle), and an Iguana. Shorter, thinner glass tubes with waxed corks were
empty or partially full of liquid. The larger tubes were well sealed. It
took us a few years to build up the courage to open them  We drained them
by removing stoppers, did a water soak, and stepped up in ethanol. We
monitored concentrations for 2 or 3 weeks adding 95% ethanol until
concentration stayed at 70%. To reinsert stoppers, we held tubes vertically
filling each to near where the bottom of the stopper seats. We placed a
thin strand of thread between stoppers and sides of containers. The stopper
was slowly pressed into opening while withdrawing thread allowing air to
escape. We made ethafoam supports. Leakage has not been noted.

*Alan Resetar*
Associate, Gantz Family Collections Center
Field Museum
1400 S. DuSable Lake Shore Dr.
Chicago, IL 60605

Check out our collection website at