[Nhcoll-l] How to display herbarium specimens without color fading

Robert Waller rw at protectheritage.com
Mon Mar 7 11:58:50 EST 2022

Hi Rebecca,
Always good to try some informal experiments. Indeed, it is not surprising that filtering UV would not reduce fading rate. It is interesting to compare how chlorophyll "sees" light with how people see light (see, for example, https://www.demegrow.com/blogs/research/70623171-what-plants-see-separating-lumens-from-effective-par-epar)
In a broad Getty Conservation Institute study (attached) removing oxygen during exposure led to a 10 to 20 times reduction in discoloration of herbarium specimens provided by the Canadian Museum of Nature. That seems like a pretty good reduction but, when you think about it, that just changes the lifetime on exhibit from a few months to a few years. Strategies to limit light levels and exposure times would help and I can imagine some other strategies to reduce loss in value (perhaps protecting a part of the specimen from light would reduce the loss of value by keeping that part unaltered). I think that would be interesting to discuss with curators, researchers, and other collection users but I think we do best to consider display of herbarium specimens  a consumptive use of the color of those specimens.
Rob
Robert Waller, PhD, CAPC, FIIC
President and Senior Risk Analyst
Protect Heritage Corp.
622 Simoneau Way
Ottawa  ON  K4A 1P4
email: rw at protectheritage.com<mailto:rw at protectheritage.com>
internet: www.protectheritage.com<http://www.protectheritage.com/>
phone: 613-883-2707 (Canada)
phone: 303-872-9739 (USA)
[cid:image001.gif at 01D8321A.B4062630]http://orcid.org/0000-0002-9500-4113
skype: rrwaller
and, Research Associate, Canadian Museum of Nature
and, Adjunct Assistant Professor, Queen's University
[iic_fellowship_logo_2019]           [cid:image003.png at 01D8321A.B4062630]         [cid:image004.png at 01D8321A.B4062630]
  [ProtectHeritage_logo] <http://www.protectheritage.com/>    [QueensLogo_colour]    [cmn_logo] <http://www.nature.ca/>

        [image007] <http://www.facebook.com/ProtectHeritageCorp?ref=tn_tnmn>           [image009] <https://twitter.com/#!/ProtectHeritage>