[Nhcoll-l] ΑΠ: Advice on estimating the value of donated collections?

Gavin Dally Gavin.Dally at magnt.net.au
Wed Mar 9 05:00:14 EST 2022

Hi all,

In Australian museums, as there is no commercial value, we use a recollection cost method to value collections. Theoretically how much does it cost to go in the field, preserve, curate, document, store etc a specimen. A premium is added for remote locations and types.

It has been very useful in showing administrators how valuable and irreplaceable the collections actually are.

Let me know off-list if you would like the valuation guidelines.

Cheers,
Gavin

Gavin Dally
Senior Collections Manager, Natural Sciences
Museum and Art Gallery of the Northern Territory

magnt.net.au<http://www.magnt.net.au/>
street address: 19 Conacher St, The Gardens, Darwin, NT 0820 Australia | postal address: GPO Box 4646, Darwin, NT 0801 Australia

Sent from my iPhone