[Nhcoll-l] [EXT]Re: How many specimens

Derek Sikes dssikes at alaska.edu
Thu Mar 17 16:19:04 EDT 2022

For those interested in how to deal with numerous jars of
too-many-to-efficiently-count specimens: We often guess the count of the
contents (like the old game of guessing the number of jellybeans in a jar).

I was curious how good our guesses were, so just before the pandemic an
undergraduate looking for a museum project checked.

Our results were published in the Alaska Entomological Society Newsletter:
http://www.akentsoc.org/doc/AKES_newsletter_2020_n1_a08.pdf

Short answer: our guesses were on average under-counts of the number of
specimens.

"The sum of the original counts of the 1,099 vials in our sample was
272,033 specimens. Assuming our subsample was representative, we estimate
these 1,099 vials probably hold closer to 421,749 specimens."

-Derek

--

*Derek S. Sikes*, Curator of Insects, Professor of Entomology

Society and / or sign up for the email listserv "Alaska Entomological
Network" at
http://www.akentsoc.org/contact_us