[Nhcoll-l] Bear Cub prep

Aren Gunderson amgunderson at alaska.edu
Tue Oct 25 18:25:04 EDT 2022

Hi Beth,
We have many standard study skins of young bears. There is no need to tan
the hides. Skin them as you would a squirrel or vole. Wash the skin with
dish soap to remove grease, then towel dry. We use bamboo skewers or wooden
dowels instead of wire, for large skins. Blow out the hair with lab
compressed air to push any water out of it and to fluff it up. After
pinning the skin, insert the compressed air into the mouth and a hind foot
to push some air through the skin while it dries. We have done this with
skins as large as adult lynx, coyotes, beaver, and wolf.
[image: IMG_0828.jpeg]
[image: IMG_0829.jpeg]
Good luck,
Aren