[Nhcoll-l] Bear Cub prep

Katrina Derieg kderieg at nhmu.utah.edu
Tue Oct 25 19:01:28 EDT 2022

Hi Beth,
I agree with Aren, the bear cubs will make nice study skins + skull/skel. You can do flat study skins and just put cardboard in the skin with some cotton wrapped around the cardboard. We don’t have any bear skins at UMNH, but I attached some photos of badgers that were prepared flat and they store nicely. If you’re concerned about space, you could also just save the skull/skel and a mask. So for a mask you just keep the skin from the face and pin it out flat to dry (fur side down on the board). This is typically what I do with large adult carnivores. I’m not a proponent of tanning because some tanning processes substantially degrade the DNA in the skin making DNA recovery nearly impossible. I assume you’re taking tissue as well, but say the tissue gets lost or used up, you could still extract DNA from dried skin. Also not sure if tanning compromises the fur in any way if someone wanted to do stable isotope analysis on hair.

Since you have four of them, you could do a few different prep types so they could be used in different ways. Perhaps just do one cub in fluid?

Good luck! Sounds like a fun project!

Katrina Derieg
Vertebrate Zoology Collections Manager
Natural History Museum of Utah (UMNH)