[Nhcoll-l] Labeling Systems for Fluid Preserved Specimens

Joachim Händel Joachim.Haendel at zns.uni-halle.de
Sun Oct 30 05:36:01 EDT 2022

Hello all,

I`ve been following these discussions for several years.

Actually, labels from classic laser printers could also be suitable. The
black toner is chemically harmless and resistant to
aging. The problem, however, is that the toner is only on the surface of
the paper and the letters may dissolute off the paper
after some time. One way to improve this situation is to run the paper
through the printer a second time (like printing a blank
page) or to re-fix the labels with an iron. My tests have shown no
problems with such labels (in tests, the labels were shaken in
bottles of Et-OH for two weeks - with lab-shakers).

A promising alternative could be the use of synthetic "paper" - paper of
synthetic high-density polyethylene fibers or poyethylene
film.
Meanwhile, such polyethylene paper is available in age-resistant quality
(European archive standard ISO 9706).
At this "paper", the toner apparently bonds insolubly to the surface. It
is resistant to a variety of solvents (including alcohol
and additives such as butanone and denatonium).

I'm running some tests on it right now.

Many greetings
Joachim

--
Joachim Haendel

Center of Natural Sciences Collections
of the Martin Luther University
- Entomological Collection -

Domplatz 4
D-06099 Halle (Saale)
Germany

Phone:  +49 345 - 55 26 447
Fax:  +49 345 - 55 27 248

Email: joachim.haendel at zns.uni-halle.de

>>> "Lazo-Wasem, Eric" <eric.lazo-wasem at yale.edu> 28.10.2022, 18:11 >>>

I too have used multiple versions of the Datamax printers (six or seven
units), particularly the I-Class versions for about 20
years, all purchased from Alpha Systems.  My assessment:

PRINT HEAD CONDITION IS KEY.  Once they wear out, about all you can do
is shift your printing to a different side if feasible.
For example, we mainly print one 2” x 3” label on 4” wide preservation
tag, and various variants smaller.  When a print head wore
excessively on the left, we shifted the label template (all in Word) to
print farther to the right; this bought us another year or
two.  One workhorse printed 50K 1” x 3” microscope tray labels (fit
directly under the slide with full data) in less than three
years, so the units really last.  Finding a cutter is very important to
reduce waste.  If you can find a unit that has not been
used beyond normal service life (we generally would by a new unit to
phase in after about 6 years or so) and use settings trickery
and the label shift I described above, I am sure you can get good
quality labels with a used unit.

I have used 180, 300, and 600 dpi versions. I bought one 600 dpi version
and do not like it nearly as much as the 300 dpi; for our
purposes print quality was actually better.  For our 0.75” x 1.75”
labels (go into 2 dram vial) we use 6 point type and find that
600 dpi makes the letters too fine and hard to read.  With 300 dpi,
Franklin Gothic Medium produces crisp, non-embellished text.
For the 600 dpi we had to switch to a bolder font and now the labels are
acceptable.

I have no experience with the CAB Squid printers and hope to retire
before I have to switch to something new!

Eric