[Nhcoll-l] Wanted: producer of square "museum" glas for exhibitions

Fabian Neisskenwirth info at naturhistorische-konservierung.de
Mon Oct 31 05:12:53 EDT 2022

Dear Mikkel,

Dirk is almost correct about the battery jars. Though they are not made
or sold anymore as battery jars, if you are lucky you can find some at
some local house furnishing store. I found some very nice rectangular
jars at "Dille & Kamille" a few weeks back in Belgium while i was there
for holidays. Its a huge dutch franchise, so maybe they have some store
in Denmark as well. But its probable that other stores of this sort run
this kind of jars as well. For me it was great because they sold the
jars as retail for only 2 Euros each. Its not the best jar, since it has
some strong curves made by the uneven melted glass, since these jars are
molded in a cast. But this goes for all battery jars, even the new ones
sold by DWK (Schott was bought by Duran long time ago and now Duran runs
under the name DWK, since they joined with Wheaton and Kimble, other
glassfactories).

Here are the ones form Duran or DWK:
https://www.dwk.com/duran-museum-jar-with-ground-glass-plate

They are pretty expensive, and the Lid is not very nice, since it defers
a bit from the jar, so you should grind down the edges. But they are
made of borosilicate, so excelent glass quality (not the lid!). Prices
go between 70-150 Euro per jar.

There are two German suppliers that sell some square sodalime jars as
well (around 20-50 Euro each):

-
https://www.assistent.eu/en/product/specimen-jars-museum-jars-made-of-clear-glass-with-ground-cover-plate/

-
https://www.neubert-glas.de/laborglas/onlineshop/katalog.php?KATfrom=suche&SearchText=pr%E4parat&struc=1_995727484085_1030342896125_1005301727684_1515949502601&kat=1023362157218&PHPSESSID=1effb50f3b77f3e7035b5480d4f6ce4b
(german only.. I suggest you call them for more information)

The problem and this goes as well for the borosilicate and the cheap
house furnishing store jars, is that the sizes are very limited. So
usually very small and nothing compared with the pretty big sizes you
showed in the picture. These are almost impossible to get new.

So there are actually just 2 solutions if you insist in big sized square
jars: One is to ask at some lab-glassblower factory. There a big jar can
costs arround 500-700 Euros each. I just did some calculating for a
project I'm working on. So they do exist! The jars are welded of plain
borosilicate glassplates, so there is no unevenness as in the molded
jars. The welding in the corner can be seen though, its less smooth as
in the battery jars. But not really a problem. Its just the immense costs.

The other way is to ask at other nat. hist. institutions. Some have a
big "stash" of old jars that may be sold or exchanged for a favor or
whatever. Maybe you are lucky and they will just donate them. It's they
only thing i can think of that excludes a very big investment. Besides
looking for this jars in local second-hand internet sites. Sometimes
there you are lucky too.

If you need more info about Jars (cylindical too) just contact me
directly. I have been dealing with this topic for a long time and have
made some good contacts, even within DWK.

All the best in the search!