[Nhcoll-l] Wanted: producer of square "museum" glas for exhibitions

Dirk Neumann d.neumann at leibniz-lib.de
Fri Oct 28 08:53:49 EDT 2022

Dear Mikkel,

the historic battery jars are no longer produced; alternatively you can use Schott Borosilicate tubes which can be customised in diameter and length (5 cm to 35 cm and up to 2.0 tall). You might have seen the tall wide jar I posted a few days back. But for the collection in Munich they produced tall wide cyclinders (25 cm x 1,0 m) for the Australian lungfishes and Arapaima

These glass cylinders have less tension within the glass and are more stable against temperature and humidity shifts (the battery jars can crack if the temperature e.g. drops within 2-3 days to below 14°C).

One producer is Gaßner Glastechnik<https://gassner-glastechnik.de/> in Munich; I have been working with them for many years.

You can also check directly with Schott; there is a catalogue, but this is not openly available. But they still produce specimen jars.

The also did some rectangular containers, but smaller ones (approx. 20 cm high and wide).

The other source might be Stölzle Oberglas in Vienna, but usually they only start production if the order is above 200 containers (in the past museums teamed up for orders).

Hope this helps
Dirk