[Nhcoll-l] [External] Re: Putty For Sealing Jars

Fabian Neisskenwirth info at naturhistorische-konservierung.de
Wed Jan 11 13:57:17 EST 2023

Dear James,

to add to Robs very good advice and Chis recommendation of the
glassplate. I recommend you to use a float glass plate (at least 4mm
thick) and pour some carborundum (SiC) in 80 & 180 grit, here is a
austrian supplier:
http://www.mineraliengrosshandel.com/Siliciumcarbid-Schleifpulver/Siliziumkarbid-Siliziumcarbid-F-80-1-kg::489.html.

To start to get all flattened you use the 80 grade and then go to the
180. This has the advantage that you will have full control of the jar,
since you will be grinding it mechanically with your hands and not with
a machine. I have had the bad experience in the past, that the lap disc
literally took the jar out of my hand and crushed into pieces. It's way
more work and time consuming, but if you have a steady hand, you will
get at least 1-3 mm grinded down without a problem.
You cant use the float glass for more than 4-5 jars, since it will get
uneven wile grinding it down.

As a seal I recommend you to use a beeswax/colophony mix (4:1) and to
head the lid at 120°C in an oven. By this you will get a slight vacuum
in the jar which seals it perfectly and inhibits oxidation. It was used
by the old teaching aid manufacturers back in 1890's and its a great
barrier for ethanol. Silicone will fail since its permeable to ethanol
with the years.

The only thing is that doing this requires some kind of practice, so
start with some tiny test jars and the go up the scale, grinding and
sealing big jars is a hard task. And use new lids of at least 4 mm
thickness too, these have to be grinded too of course.

If all fails, there is a putty called "Terostat IX":
https://www.henkel-adhesives.com/ch/de/produkt/flexible-sealants/teroson_rb_ix.html

This can be used with warm lids, so you still get the effect of the
slight vacuum. Its not tested for longevity, but some colleagues have
had no issues since the last 20 years. But its no conservation product,
so just to get this clear ;>)

All the best wishes from Switzerland,