[Nhcoll-l] Permanent Storage of Squid Pens

Silvia Da Rocha Silvia.DaRocha at Australian.Museum
Tue Jan 24 00:19:18 EST 2023

Hello All,

I am enquiring as to whether anyone on the list currently has any squid pens in their collection? And if so the method of storage.

We currently have a small number of dried specimens that are kept in card trays. They are generally somewhat curled due to the drying process.
We also have a number of specimens currently stored in zip lock bags. This is not the desired permanent storage solution. We are either thinking of a way to safely store the pens in solution in such a way as they are accessible for study, or to experiment with a method of drying that doesn't lead to curling. We would love to hear what others do to store their pens or whether there are any good drying tips/methods out there.

Hope all are well and thanks in advance.

Silvia

Silvia Da Rocha (she/her)
Conservator Natural Sciences | Collection Care and Conservation
Australian Museum Research Institute
Australian Museum 1 William Street Sydney NSW 2010 Australia
M 61 400 347 736
[signature_357450491]<http://www.australian.museum/>
Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/australianmuseum> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/austmus> | Instagram<https://instagram.com/australianmuseum/?hl=en> | YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/user/austmus>
I respect and acknowledge the Gadigal people of the Eora Nation as the First Peoples and Traditional Custodians of the land and waterways on which the Australian Museum stands.

[https://media.australian.museum/media/dd/images/Sharks_at_the_Australian_Museum.5a18784.980e462.png] <https://australian.museum/exhibition/sharks/>

The Australian Museum email disclaimer

The views in this email are those of the user and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Australian Museum. The information contained in this email message and any accompanying files is or may be confidential and is for the intended recipient only. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, dissemination, reliance, forwarding, printing or copying of this email or any attached files is unauthorised. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it and notify the sender. The Australian Museum does not guarantee the accuracy of any information contained in this e-mail or attached files. As Internet communications are not secure, the Australian Museum does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message or attached files.