[Nhcoll-l] Call for Papers NatSCA 2023 - deadline extended to 6th February

Chair NatSCA chair at natsca.org
Fri Jan 27 06:15:53 EST 2023

***Apologies for cross-posting***

***Abstract deadline extended to 6th February 2023***

*NatSCA Conference 2023 - Call for Papers & Save the Date!*

The Annual Conference & AGM of the Natural Sciences Collections Association
<https://natsca.org/> will be held on Thursday 27th and Friday 28th April
2023. Stoke-on-Trent Museums will be hosting the conference at The
Potteries Museum & Art Gallery, United Kingdom. The conference will include
gallery and collection tours, presentations, poster sessions and the annual
AGM.

*So how do we actually do all this?Hopeful futures and turning theory into
practice for big issues in natural history collections*

This is the “How To…” conference for people working with natural history
collections. The last few years have seen unprecedented changes in the
expectations for what the museum sector can deliver. Global and local
social and environmental issues have coincided to reinforce the needs of
museums to consider their reinvention and relevance.

These have brought many opportunities for exciting developments, but as we
work to take positive action for and with our audiences – often centred on
wellbeing – the people working and volunteering in the sector have been
placed under pressures that impact their own wellness, making clear we need
to support each other and look after ourselves too.

The #NatSCA2023 conference invites proposals for presentations on a broad
range of themes that will spin hope from these subjects. We seek ideas from
the natural history collections community and beyond, with the aim that we
will come away feeling better. For example, have you developed practices or
concepts that relate to:
- Supporting worker wellbeing?
- Engaging audiences with the climate and biodiversity crises?
- Work towards social justice, restitution and decolonisation with
collections and audiences?
- The cost-of-living crisis?

We would like to hear from anyone and everyone who uses natural science
collections to interact with important global topics.

This conference intends to offer an opportunity to share the best ideas and
approaches to working with collections and audiences. We will prioritise
papers that focus on sharing ideas, tools and guidance rather than simply
reporting results – so please try to reflect this in your abstract. You may
even consider beginning your presentation title with “How to…”

While we have a focus on natural science collections, we recognise that we
can learn from others in the wider museum sector and we welcome submissions
from anyone who wishes to share techniques and ideas with broader relevance
and application.

*Papers can be presented in any of several formats:* A 20 minute
presentation (consisting of a 15 minute talk followed by 5 minutes of Q&A),
a 5 minute lightning talk or a poster stand. Talks can be presented in
person or by submission of a pre-recorded presentation, with the option of
Q&A then being conducted over live video stream (Zoom).

*Please complete your abstract using the form.
<http://www.natsca.org/sites/default/files/downloads/NatSCA%202023%20CALL%20FOR%20PAPERS.docx>*

For in-person presentations, the *conference fee for the day of your talk
will be waived.* You may claim* travel and accommodation expenses of up to
£150* following submission of a write-up of your paper to the NatSCA Editor.

*Deadline for submission:* 5pm GMT Monday 6th February
*Please send your abstract to:* conference at natsca.org