[Nhcoll-l] Designing a new fluid store

Dirk Neumann d.neumann at leibniz-lib.de
Fri May 5 03:06:42 EDT 2023

.. to add to John's post: there is a standard for the planning of depot buildings which seems to be very useful: DIN EN 16893:2018-04<https://www.beuth.de/de/norm/din-en-16893/276155794>
This norm also is applicable in the UK, we are currently revising the contents for our new building infrastructure project. The UK equivalent is EN 16893 / BS EN 16893:2018 (link to norm as referenced on the Collections Trust Website<https://collectionstrust.org.uk/resource/bs-en-168932018-conservation-of-cultural-heritage/>).

If I read this correctly, this norm is to be applied by architects, engineers and responsible planners in charge for the design and construction of new archives, libraries and museums.

Compared to the continent, collections in the UK (if I am not entirely wrong) are considered (and ranked) rather as cultural Heritage then "research collections", thus the norm would fit even more closely for collection infrastructures in the UK. For fluid storage, as John already pointed out, fire prevention is an issue. However, this also is addressed in this norm as an general topic, i.e. we need to check an understand, inasmuch this can be applicable for fluid preserved collections.

Hope this helps,
Dirk