[Nhcoll-l] [External] Policies regarding "internal loan" of specimens for exhibit

Mariana Di Giacomo maru.digi at gmail.com
Thu May 11 18:38:40 EDT 2023

Hi Andy,

I'm not going to comment on the collections management/registrarial side of
things because I'm not the appropriate person to do so and you already have
great responses, but I'll say a small thing from the conservation
standpoint. At the Yale Peabody Museum, we've implemented the policy that
every time an object/specimen is going on exhibit or coming back (both
internally within YPM or on loan either to Yale or external) it gets a
condition report. It is a great way to monitor the object, see if it needs
work, check if it has specific requirements of lighting, temperature and
relative humidity, or realize if it gets damaged during exhibition. This is
very valuable information for documentation purposes but also for future
research of the items in question.

Best,
Mariana

Mariana Di Giacomo, PhD
Natural History Conservator, Yale Peabody Museum
Associate Editor, Collection Forum, SPNHC
Secretary/Communications APOYOnline