[Nhcoll-l] Speculation on color retention and color loss in preserved herps?

John E Simmons simmons.johne at gmail.com
Mon Nov 6 16:41:16 EST 2023

Kelly,

Color change in preserved specimens is a complex problem, as I discussed at
some length in *Fluid Preservation: A Comprehensive Reference* (2014) along
with a review the available literature on the subject. In short, changes of
color may result from chemical or physical alterations of the tissues
(usually both) and may involve color loss, acquisition, or alteration. Of
the factors that cause color change, the most significant are light UV
exposure, shrinkage, and swelling. For example, in reptiles and amphibians,
yellows and greens tend to fade quickly, but blacks and browns are more
stable. The common green-to-blue change in herps is largely (but not
exclusively) due to the leaching of xanthophories by the preservative and
the alteration of iridophores by dehydration.

Color in amphibians and reptiles involves pigments (some of which are
soluble in preservatives) and light reflection and refraction, which is
altered by the shrinkage and swelling of tissues. Color change may begin
with post-mortem specimens handling (e.g., the time interval between death
and fixation or preservation, freezing the specimen, exposure to sunlight).
Once the specimen is preserved, both visible light and ultraviolet
radiation will alter colors, as will heat. The choice of preservatives is
also a factor—colors will change in different ways if the specimen is in
formaldehyde, ethanol, or isopropanol. The colors of the specimen may be
affected by dyes from the string, tags, labels, or container, and exposure
to oxidation processes, and exposure to metals (particularly copper).

The preservation literature is full of magic recipes to preserve color,
none of which work. The only universal among the recipes is that I have
never seen an article in which the colors of the live specimen and the
post-preservation specimen were compared to the same color standard, which
means that all estimations of how well the colors were preserved were
biased guesses.

The photo that you included is interesting—that is, indeed, a spectacular
retention of colors by a snake that has been in preservative (and probably
exposed to light on view?) since 1938. Typically, that level of pattern
retention is only visible on specimens kept largely in the dark (thus
protected from visible light and UV). The snake has lost its
yellow-green-red colors (most of which are alcohol soluble pigments), but
otherwise looks good. Are there any notes in your institutional archives or
collectors field books that might tell you what technique was used to
preserve the snake? There were a lot of different chemicals in use for
preservation around that time.

Keeping the true (live) color of specimens preserved in fluid is the Holy
Grail of fluid preservation, as can be seen from the numerous publications
on the subject suggesting ways to do it. Unfortunately, all of the
published magic recipes fail the color standard test. If colors of the
specimen are important, it should be photographed before it is preserved
with a color standard reference in the photo so the colors in the image can
be corrected later.

--John

John E. Simmons
Writer and Museum Consultant
Museologica
*and*
Investigador Asociado, Departamento de Ornitologia
Museo de Historia Natural, Universidad Nacional Mayor de San Marcos, Lima