[Nhcoll-l] shipment of herbarium specimens to Denmark

Meier, Gretchen meierga at miamioh.edu
Tue Oct 31 15:53:00 EDT 2023

MU uses eshipglobal.com and the website will walk you through the process
with links to get the correct codes.  The harmonized Code I use is
9705.29.0000, for some reason you have to use the full 9 digits, this is
the code for natural history collections of various types.  The ECCN code I
use is EAR99 - which is 'other'.  Even though Herbarium specimens are
technically 'goods' they have no commercial value.  I always add at least
$1 per specimen so if they get lost, I can at least recoup the postage.
You'll need to print 2 copies of the address form and three copies of the
commercial invoice that go in a clear mailing pouch on the outside.  Keep a
copy for yourself.  I always use FedEx Priority International, if that
helps at all.  Lastly, because I'm mostly returning loaned materials, I
always put 'return to origin' in one of the first steps of the process.
Gretchen

On Tue, Oct 31, 2023 at 2:00 PM Tim Flynn <tflynn at ntbg.org> wrote:

> Can anyone advise me on what I will need to include/provide when shipping
> herbarium specimens to Denmark? I know that I will include a customs
> declaration and have requested the EORI of the receiving museum (C). Is
> anything else needed? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> Tim
> Tim Flynn | Husband, Father, Curator of the Herbarium | National Tropical
> Botanical Garden | 3530 Papalina Road | Kalaheo, HI, 96741 | 808-332-7324 x
> 205 | fax: 808-332-9765
> tflynn at ntbg.org

*Gretchen Meier, Curator*
*Willard Sherman Turrell Herbarium*
77 Upham Hall, 100 Bishop Circle Dr.
Miami University, Oxford, OH 45056
(513)529 2755 office, (605)254 4561 cell
she/her/hers/human

*“Naturam expellas furca, tamen usque recurretet mala perrumpet furtim
fastidia victrix."  ~Horace*
"(Drive Nature out with a pitchfork, she'll come right back,
Victorious over your ignorant confident scorn.)”