[Nhcoll-l] Supplier in California for jars and lids for fluid preserved collections?

Douglas Yanega dyanega at gmail.com
Fri Sep 1 19:45:39 EDT 2023

For less-than-critical storage (such as bulk samples) we have often used
various sizes of Mason jars (both Kerr and Ball), and - for very
long-term storage - culinary jars with gaskets and a latchable lid,
rather than anything from specialty suppliers.

These aren't exactly manufactured for museum specimen storage, but we
honestly have had very, very few problems with them, over a 25-year time
span for many of them.

Note that for the kinds of specimens we store (arthropods), there's no
evidence that any chemicals from the gaskets of either type of jar are
problematic, so it really comes down to preventing alcohol from
evaporating, and they seem to do this pretty well, aside from the
smallest size of the Mason jars (4 oz.), with which we've had some
problems. Not sure why it's only the smallest jars that are troublesome.

Are we deluding ourselves about the longevity of these jars?

Peace,

              https://faculty.ucr.edu/~heraty/yanega.html