[Nhcoll-l] Supplier in California for jars and lids for fluid preserved collections?

Dirk Neumann d.neumann at leibniz-lib.de
Sat Sep 2 05:06:13 EDT 2023

Hi all,

agree with Doug that jars culinary jars are widely used, and this is not only Le-Perfait jars. Snap-on lids may perform differently, a general problem with snap-on plastic lids (as with other plastic lids) is, that plastic is ageing and if they start to fail usually entire batches in the collections fail more or less simultaneously. All with famous Copenhagen jars know this all too well.

Recently had a very interesting exchange with a company producing metal twist-on lids. There are also a couple of changes after the ban of PVC as liner in metal lids (which is related with the banning of the plasticizer Bisphenol A from usage for food containers), about which we don't know too much at the moment.

The different categories of inner coatings, including specific coating to withstand acetic, strong acetic and salty fillings (Link<https://www.pano.de/files/public/downloads/en/Pano_Blueseal_Datenblatt_EN_5.0.pdf>; screenshot below); classes S4 & S5 have a three-layer coating and surely would be preferable for our purposes as well.

With best wishes
Dirk

[cid:part1.66RdtZem.LyMv65LB at leibniz-lib.de]