[Nhcoll-l] Converting bird mounts

Fabian Neisskenwirth info at naturhistorische-konservierung.de
Mon Sep 4 03:05:40 EDT 2023

Dear Mackenzie,

I suggest to reconsider the idea of altering a mount. I can understand
that making a study-skin of it, has a positive effects for storage, but
the mounts will suffer a great deal of damage. Its in a way like taking
a old painting out of its frame and roiling it up to safe space.

If the other option would be to discard them, then you can try using
chopped cherry laurel leaves, which soften the skin very nicely. But
then you will have to take out the old mannequin from inside and re-wire
everything to an adequate study-skin mount. This is a procedure that
requires a lot of practice, knowledge of bird taxidermy, time and
patience. And don't forget about good PPE, since old bird mounts usually
have a lot of banned preservation chemicals.

There is a fantastic older paper on the subject of cherry laurel in German:

Wechsler K., J. Fiebig, A. Henche, U. Plackinger, M. Rauer-Gömann, and
H. Scheidt. 2001. Über das Weichen trockengefallener Alkohol- und
Formalinpräparate, Herbarblätter und von Tapagewebe. Der Präparator
47(1):15–31.

All the best,