[Nhcoll-l] Seeking information on the multiple stacking of natural history cabinets

Taylor, Sarah sarah.taylor at uconn.edu
Thu Apr 11 14:39:04 EDT 2024

All our cabinets (botany, paleo, insects, and vertebrates) are double-stacked Delta Designs cabinets. I believe the very highest cubbies/drawers are empty across the collections (we are organized to move up vertically into our empty "expansion" space as needed). I'm not very tall (64" or 1.6m) and I can reach *almost* all the herbarium specimens with a 1-m stepstool. I occasionally use our WAV to access things up high; I think our vertebrates manager uses the WAV the most, because the tray is very handy for fetching multiple specimens rather than going up and down the stepstool for each one. It can maneuver in fairly tight spaces (tight turns) so it fits in our compactor aisles pretty easily after some practice.

Cheers,
Sarah

(sorry I don't have a scale for this  photo, but for reference, I can walk along the compactor aisle without ducking when the upper cabinets are open. VERY convenient and I've never conked my head!)
[cid:image001.jpg at 01DA8C1D.FFB08670]

Sarah Taylor, PhD

Scientific Collections Manager

George Safford Torrey Herbarium (CONN)