[Nhcoll-l] Seeking information on the multiple stacking of natural history cabinets

Cody Thompson cwthomp at umich.edu
Thu Apr 11 13:07:06 EDT 2024

Hi, Don!  My suggestion is to not stack more than two 4-foot cabinets
high.  Adam, our colleagues, and I spend an exorbitant amount of time
accessing specimens, and it is difficult (if not impossible) to do any
level of browsing in the collection.

If there is no other option but to stack, I would consider getting shorter
cabinets to allow for future reconfiguration.  It also helps with handling
groups that are heterogeneous in size, e.g., marsupials, rodents.  The
shorter cabinets can be limiting if you are using a platform, but the lifts
that Adam suggests, as well as various ladders, will allow you to access
your collection.

Take care,
Cody

Cody W. Thompson, PhD
Mammal Collections Manager
& Associate Research Scientist
University of Michigan
Museum of Zoology
3600 Varsity Drive
Ann Arbor, Michigan 48108
Office: (734) 615-2810
Fax: (734) 763-4080
Email: cwthomp at umich.edu
Website: codythompson.org

*Please click here to support the UMMZ Mammal Division, its collections,
and research mission!!!*
<https://lsa.umich.edu/ummz/mammals/donate-to-the-mammal-division.html>