[Nhcoll-l] Interactive/Dynamic Keys

Tommy McElrath monotomidae at gmail.com
Fri Feb 9 11:04:19 EST 2024

Hey Seth,
“Distinguish” by the Species File Group is an open-source solution that allows you to build your matrices in TaxonWorks and deploy them via GitHub pages: https://github.com/SpeciesFileGroup/distinguish/?tab=readme-ov-file

I’ve built interactive keys in LUCID https://www.lucidcentral.org/ before as well, and I honestly prefer Distinguish/TaxonWorks over their proprietary process.

The barrier to entry is a bit higher, as you’ll have to learn to use matrix and key-building tools in TaxonWorks, then deploy them with GitHub, but it’s free and the development team and very responsive to questions. https://speciesfilegroup.org/events.html

Hope you find a tool that works for you!

Best,

--
TOMMY MCELRATH
Insect Collection Manager

Illinois Natural History Survey
Prairie Research Institute
Natural Resources Bldg.
615 E. Peabody Dr. | MC 650
Champaign, IL 61820
217-300-5938 | tcm at illinois.edu <mailto:tcm at illinois.edu>
insect.inhs.illinois.edu <https://insect.inhs.illinois.edu/>

 <https://www.facebook.com/INHSInsects/>     <https://www.instagram.com/inhsinsects/>

 <http://illinois.edu/>

Under the Illinois Freedom of Information Act any written communication to or from university employees regarding university business is a public record and may be subject to public disclosure.