[Nhcoll-l] Catalog numbers for split lots

John E Simmons simmons.johne at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 12:12:08 EST 2024

Angela,
I agree with Bill, it is very important to keep the catalog numbers linked.

I have split specimen lots many times due to new identifications (usually
anuran larvae, which are usually cataloged by lot). My preference is to
leave one group of specimens under the original catalog number and assign
new catalog numbers to those that are separated out, being sure to note the
linkage in the catalog records for both the original group and for any that
are extracted and re-cataloged. There is no reason to re-catalog all of the
specimens and, in my experience, that only leads to confusion if someone
looks for the specimens under the original number.

I followed the same procedure as above when a specimen needed to be
separated from the original lot because it was illustrated, prepared as a
cleared and stained specimen, etc. Keep the original number with the lot,
assign a new catalog record to the exception.

--John

John E. Simmons
Writer and Museum Consultant
Museologica
*and*
Investigador Asociado, Departamento de Ornitologia
Museo de Historia Natural, Universidad Nacional Mayor de San Marcos, Lima