[Nhcoll-l] federal specimens in non-federal museums and collections

Liath Appleton liathappleton at gmail.com
Fri Mar 22 11:23:10 EDT 2024

Your google doc is tricky to fill out for our collections. Most of our
federal specimens came to us a long time ago, and previous staff and
volunteers entered data in a variety of ways. Often there is no obvious way
of knowing if something is from federal land. When we do have all the data,
we keep the acronym and number that came with the specimen (as someone
posted on the google doc), for example, BIBE numbers are used by Big Bend.
We place those numbers in a separate "Other numbers" column. For BLM land
we use the acronym "BLM" and include the permit information when possible.
We want to keep specific locality data off of the aggregators, but instead
have to keep all data from particular counties that are known to be on NPS
land. BLM specimens can be even trickier. The agencies also have little to
go on when searching for their own specimens. They don't have our numbers
(sometimes they don't even have theirs), and we don't always have theirs,
and it was so long ago that neither of us have a clue as to what to look
for. The MOUs have often been lost and it takes some sleuthing between both
us and them to figure out what is what. We have created a jurisdiction drop
down list in our Specify database locality table that includes Federal,
International, and a couple of others, and we update data whenever we find
things, but it is a very long process, and definitely not even close to
being accurate currently. It would be nice to be able to add data from
these specimens to the aggregators without giving out
sensitive information, and kudos to you for trying to come up with
standards. ---Liath

Liath Appleton
Collections Manager
Non-Vertebrate Paleontology Lab