[Wgcp-whc] Minutes from meetings with Christian Bök (10/26 and 11/02)

Jean-Jacques Poucel jean-jacques.poucel at yale.edu
Sat Nov 10 17:22:13 EST 2007

Dear Friends,

I would like to report on the recent Working Group discussions with
the Canadian poet Christian Bök. Before doing so allow me to remind
active participants that our next meeting is scheduled for November
30th, 3-5pm. On that occasion we will be meeting at the Beinecke
Library to discuss the work of Marianne Moore with Patricia Willis,
Curator of American Literature. Please stay posted for additional
information about the proposed readings.

Also, Thursday November 15th, this coming week, poets Graham Foust
and Elizabeth Robinson will give a joint reading at the Beinecke
Library. The reading begins at 4pm, it is open to the public, and it
will be followed by a reception. You are hereby invited to attend.
(Further details about the work of these two poets may be found at
the end of these minutes).

Now to my report, where I’ll refer to recent Working Group activities
with a perforated sense for ordering the way things happened—a self
interrupting memory at work will allow for such extravagance.

On October 26th, members from the working group met to discuss
Eunoia, the Griffin Poetry Prize winning univocal lipogramatic poem-
novel that Christian Bök published in 2001. The fruit of “seven years
of perseverance,” this book attempts to use 98% of the single-vowel
lexicons Bök culled from the Webster’s 3rd Ed. Unabridged Dictionary
(which he chose over the OED because it contains more scientific
terminology), stitching them into five semi-narrative chapters, one
for each vowel (A, E, I, O, U).

Initial reactions from group members could not have been more
divided; some loved the book, others hated it. Insofar as readers
remained stuck on constraint, there was a tendency to reduce the work
itself to gimmickry, a flamboyant flourish of lettered virtuosity
deprived of a genuinely compelling reflection on (personal)
experience. Insofar as readers embraced the texture of each page for
its sound above all, the experience of reading was given to all sorts
of ancillary reflections, including posing problems of genre, voice,
and emergent/descriptive metaphors.

While considering the initial critique, we reveled at the way the
work foresees and in fact already triumphs this very line of
rejection. This anticipation of the critical eye is quite prominent
in the opening passages of Chapter I : “Writing is inhibiting.
Sighing, I sit, scribbling in ink this pidgin script. I sing
nihilistic witticism, disciplining signs with trifling gimmicks—
impish hijinks which highlight stick sigils. […] I dismiss nitpicking
criticism which flirts with philistinism. I bitch; I kibitz—[…]
dismissing simplistic thinking in which philippic wit is still
illicit” (50). Gestures of self-deprecation seems to take on the
character of a manifesto in the book’s dedication —“to the new /
ennui in you” (7)— and in the deviant slogan attributed to Derren
Wershler-Henry before the book’s afterword: “The tedium is the
message” (103); that is, what provokes rejection is precisely the
fact that the constraint remains opaque, a constant (and superficial)
obstacle to more engrossing content—the book’s paratext constructs
that stiff-arm distance as one of its most committed rhetorical moves.

As we considered elements that delighted us in the work’s attention
to sound (often pausing to read aloud), we enjoyed discovering how
diverse the music of each vowel, and we paid homage to the scriptor’s
skill in tying together so rich a context (both in terms of the
intertextual references that were made apparent, and in terms of the
thematic constraints that recur in each chapter: e.g. maritime
travel, gastronomy, sexual endeavor, etc.). Group members confessed
to having favored one chapter over others while reading. Praise was
emitted over the use of so many rare and beautiful words. The
existence of additional, number-based constraints were guessed at.
And thus, the conversation recursively wended back to the central
fact of labor, the thoroughgoing toil that must have entered the
building of this book letter by letter, an element that is detailed
in all of its late-night, post-graduate-student-angst-enriched glory,
in the afterword, as if part of an increasingly explicit personal
mythopoesis.

While as a group we enjoyed thinking about the manner in which the
vowel in each lexicon would conspire to tell its own story in the
process of composition—a revelation Bök describes in his recent
Postmodern Culture interview—, a couple of detailed points taken from
our reading of the book in conjunction with the interview complicated
what might otherwise have been felicitously read as an attempt to
‘yield the initiative to words’ themselves, to let the personality of
each lexicon (of language itself) dictate the direction and tone of
each chapter.

The first objection is that the value of poetic process (writing and
reading), as it is represented by Bök, risks being reduced to nothing
more than a game of one-upmanship, a dynamic that is already deeply
inflected within constraint based writing generally, where
inspiration is “programmable” (according to Bök’s ‘Pataphysics: The
Poetics of an Imaginary Science), as well as elsewhere in the
extended poetic tradition (contests are part of poetic life from the
medieval age to the contemporary). When asked about his favorite
contemporary poets, Bök cites Kenneth Godsmith as “the man to beat.”
If the selected opponent is appropriately formidable, what struck
some group members as particularly regrettable is in the turn of
phrase: that the agonistic character of poetry should bear such
importance, that competition would be defined and confined to
increasingly explicit formal and thematic elements of the text,
without taking into account how those sophistications actually
motivated the meaning of that work, or what contribution they make to
the greater field of experimental (and normative) poetics and their
place in the world.

We linked this discussion to the opening passage of Chapter E, a
passage that may be read as much as a metapoetic commentary as a
mythopoetic program: “We see the revered exegete reject metered verse
[…] He rebels. He sets new precedents. He lets cleverness exceed
decent levels. He eschews the esteemed genres, the expected themes.
[…] He engenders perfect newness wherever we need fresh terms” (31).
En effet, within the confines of very self-conscious constraint based
writing, there is indeed a kind of arms race (e.g.- who will be the
one to write the longest (and most elegant) palindrome?) and it is
almost natural (predictable) to (re)knit that competitive spirit to
the nihilism associated with the brightest avatar’s of the avant-
garde, Beckett’s advice in Westward Ho to “Fail again. Fail better.”
In other words, even if there are considerable limitations imposed by
the constraint here, Bök manages to put what’s there to use in the
service an explicitly motivated and manifesting negative poetics.
Adopting a starkly anti-lyrical voice, “he eschews expected themes,”
or says he will; all the while he retells tales of Helen from the
Trojan wars, and composes paragraphs rife with delicious syllables
and pit pleasing smut—this paradox complicates the way “the rebel
peddles these theses,” it adds a kind of vulnerability under the
hardened ironic voice that plays at portraying its own process as
“depthless pretense” (32).

The second point emerged from considering how working under
constraint affects notions of inspiration. We suggested that it was
crutch, a kind of mask, a safety net in its own right, one that
places some limited faith in the execution of a proof, however
arbitrary the question might be (whatever else it will be, the text
will have demonstrated a solution to a problem). We also underlined
that since it is the generative process of the writing that we could
not lose sight of, what is glorified in the writer here is first and
foremost his skill as craftsman, his handiwork. We wondered how Bök
would react to our comparing this work to the craft of needlepoint
(which is often used to decorate and protect the soft underbelly of a
pillow, for example), a hand-made tale stitched for show among a
super select coterie of like-minded craft artists (after all, the
French word ouvroir, so prominent in Oulipo (ouvroir de literature
potentielle), denotes first and foremost a sewing workshop). This
metaphor is all the more enjoyable to imagine considering Eunoia has
sold over 20,000 copies; the dream come true/deepest fear of any
cottage industry. Again, what’s beguiling about Bök’s book is that
while it may take as its direct addressees (and claim its heritage
among) some of the more extreme conceptual artists known, its
currency among the general public runs more rapidly that Warhol’s
Campbell soup sreenprints.

While the better part of that initial discussion was devoted to
Eunoia, we did begin discussing Christian’s current project, based on
Xenotext, the file he sent along for our consideration. Elaborating
on William S. Burrough’s declaration that “the word is now a virus,”
this work-in-progress consists of genetically engineering a poem-text
into the DNA of a radiation resistant organism (the bacteria
Deinococcus radiodurans) in such a fashion that the RNA produced
using the encrypted DNA sequence will constitute an equally “heart
breaking” poem. In other words, Bök aspires to make a living organism
into a machine for making poetry. When Christian talked about this
project during his November 2nd visit to the Working Group, he
revealed one of the arguments he uses to secure funding for the
project—it is a collaborative endeavor embarked upon with MacArthur
Fellow and biochemist, Stuart A. Kaufman—, namely that once they are
completed and encoded into the targeted organism, these poems may
very well exist and continue reproducing themselves long after the
disappearance of the human race. Immortality through art?

On the occasion of our first discussion (10/26), we recognized, not
without some admiration, that this conceptual poetics engages with
(and pushes the limits of) even highly experimental notions of
literature and, more broadly, art itself.  Deep concerns, however,
were expressed about the consequence of what was described as a
slippery slope of epistemological translations, transpositions, and
displacements: if code (or encrypted DNA), which remains unreadable
to the naked eye, is taken as poetry, then much—if not all—of the
dialogic character of literature will have been abandoned. This
seeming disregard for the character of human understanding
problematizes for several group members the ethical commitment
subtending this ambitious incursion into the poetics of biochemistry.

The first question a group member posed in response to Bök’s live
description of his Xenotext (11/02): “If no one is around to hear it,
does a falling tree make a sound?”  This seemed to be a non-problem
problem for Bök who brazenly admitted to liking above all music made
by machines for machines. Intent on outdoing what has been achieved
in Eunoia, Bök claims to worry very little about a modern day
readership for the poem itself (in some sense its final addressees
are not in fact contemporary humans, but post apocalyptic intelligent
life (alien or not)); perhaps having already had more readers than
most contemporary poets would know what to do with has had some
liberating effects. Still, he described pursuing his Xenotext
experiment in a variety of practical and pragmatic ways, including :
1. The process of designing a computer program that is helping him
select the most propitious DNA lexicon (and propitious will have been
defined as the cipher that allows for the most ‘moving’ translation
into the RNA (or protein) sequence); 2. planning a final publication
that will include a description of the compositional procedures, a
copy of both poems, some analysis of the cipher selected (those
eschewed), and, as part of the book, a microscope ready slide
containing the germ itself, a primer for the scientific inspection of
the bacterial-lyric by the general public.

Discussion of this project underlined the extent to which Bök
fashions himself as a conceptual provocateur. While occasionally
pretending to bracket humanist values, his often polemical remarks
incisively clamor for a repositioning of poetry against, within, and
before the leading contemporary epistemologies, most prominently
scientific discourse. For the record, I will list some of those
claims here. Bök dismisses slam poetry events as a poor excuse for
authors who lack the talent (or grit) to go toe-to-toe with the
masters of (pseudo)socially conscious rhyming, today’s top hip-hop
artists. He challenges poets to redeem the relevance of their art by
breaking into and incursively appropriating discourses where truth,
its relation to the human, are not only in question, but under rapid
development world-wide. He decries that fact poets remain confined to
the category of the quaint, the dépassé realm of contemporary
culture; and, in the same breath, he laments the fact that no one has
yet written the beautiful epic poems occasioned by our journey to
moon. He praises the work of Kenneth Goldsmith—whose writing, despite
being reduced to two “constraints” (1. never writing a single
original word (i.e. working entirely from citation, pastiche,
collage) and 2. selecting only the flattest, most boring passages),
remains paradoxically original and interesting, as well as the
writings of Greg Betts (If Language), Jordan Scott (Blert) and his
close friend Darren Wershler-Henry (Apostrohe (with Bill Kennedy)).
He passionately evoked R. Murray Schafer’s experimental opera The
Princess of the Stars, and the gothic atmosphere that surrounded its
third ever staging in August of 2007, a performance in which Bök
played the Three-Horned Enemy. And, along the way, he generously drew
relationships between modern Canadian letters and American literature
writ large.

Reflecting on how we might understands Bök’s revival of the ephemeral
sound poems of Kurt Schwitters and Hugo Ball (two elements of the
reading he gave at the Beinecke (soon to be streaming@ http://
beineckepoetry.wordpress.com/ ), we considered how avant-garde
experimentation appeals to transnational audiences more easily than
works more steadily inscribed in a national, modernist aesthetics. In
response to how he viewed his (dis)connection to the Oulipo (the
contemporary French experimental group known for its exploitation of
formal constraints), Bök doubted he could be a part of a group in
which he did not have a founding stake. And, in addition to citing
temperamental differences, Bök explained some frustration with that
group’s conservative poetics. Decrying the apolitical character of
the group, Bök regretted that with so much talent and potential that
group of writers and mathematicians would preoccupy themselves
tweaking normative poetic forms such as the sonnet or the sestina,
instead making bold attempts at creating new forms detached from what
remnant nostalgia tradition instills.

Though our conversation remained entirely improvised, group member
were impressed by how pat the emission of Bök’s responses. If little
seemed to surprise him—clearly a consummate professional whose
mastery of his voice and persona astounds—some of us were left with
an eerie feeling that perhaps parts of Christian had already become
robotic, monstrously mechanical in the wicked quick deduction and
analyses of multiple consubstantial possible solutions to each real
or imagined query.

Looking forward to seeing many of you at the reading this Thursday at
the Beinecke.

Cordially,

—Jean-Jacques Poucel, Occasional scrivner

Graham Foust is the author of three books of poetry, Necessary
Stranger, Leave the Room to Itself, and As in Every Deafness and
numerous poetry chapbooks. He was born in Knoxville, Tennessee and
raised in Eau Claire, Wisconsin. He is currently the Director of the
Master of Fine Arts program in Creative Writing at St. Mary’s College
of California.

Elizabeth Robinson is the author of numerous books of poetry,
including Pure Descent, winner of the National Poetry Series,
Apprehend, winner of the Fence Modern Poets Series, Under that Silky
Roof, House Made of Silver, and Bed of Lists. She has been awarded
the Gertrude Stein Award for Innovative Poetry and a grant from the
Fund for Poetry. She is co-editor of 26, a magazine of poetry and
poetics, EtherDome, a press dedicated to publishing the work of
emerging women poets, and Instance Press.

For more information about and examples of Graham Foust’s and
Elizabeth Robinson’s work visit:

Graham Foust
http://lit.konundrum.com/poetry/foustg_poems1.htm
http://www.typomag.com/issue02/000026.html