[Wgcp-whc] WG/CP--M. Moore Meeting w/Pat Willis this Friday

richard.deming at yale.edu richard.deming at yale.edu
Sun Nov 25 23:55:40 EST 2007

Dear All,

restored by a few days' break because of the recent holiday, we gear up for our
next meeting of the working group, which will be this Fri (Nov 30) at 3 PM.
Note that we will NOT be at our usual spot.  This time we will meet at the
Beinecke Library and our session will be be led by Patricia Willis, Senior
Curator of the Yale Collection of American Literature and one of the country's
foremost authorities on Marianne Moore.  Moore's poetics clearly set up
experimental and modernist traditions of poetry that follow in her wake and so
the group has long wanted to have the opportunity to have Pat Willis lead us
through the work of such an important and seminal modernist writer.

The readings we will focus on were distributed via email attachment last week.

The file is also available on line at:
http://www.library.yale.edu/~nkuhl/WGCP-Willis-Moore.pdf.

The readings in the attached packet include: 1--Moore's poem "Marriage";
2--4 versions of Moore's poem "Poetry" published between 1919 and 1967;
3--Patricia Willis's essay "A Modernist Epithalamium: Marianne Moore's
'Marriage'" (if you have difficulty with the PDF, please contact
nancy.kuhl at yale.edu).

For some quick introduction to Moore's biography and some of her poems here are
two useful sites:
http://www.english.uiuc.edu/maps/poets/m_r/moore/moore.htm
http://www.poets.org/poet.php/prmPID/96

As ever, our meeting are free and open to  anyone so please pass word to people
who might be interested in our special session this Friday.

Thus,
Richard Deming, Group Co-coordinator