[Coll_Collab] Follow-up on primary sources workshop

Shae Trewin shae.trewin at yale.edu
Tue Nov 20 11:42:16 EST 2007

Dear Martha & List Members,

I very much enjoyed the recent Collections Collaborative workshop and
I came away with some good ideas to increase the use and awareness of
the scientific instrument collection on campus. Next time though I
would like to see an active object or sculpture collection (if any?)
to be included in the program because I believe that access issues,
handling and the pedagogical value of  these collections are a little
different to the visual resources that were discussed in the workshop.

Regarding priorities, I am concerned about the current emphasis on
developing meta-data search programs for special/primary collections.
I think we are jumping ahead of ourselves: there are many important
but less well-funded and well-staffed collections on campus that
don't even have basic catalog records as yet. It seems pointless to
have a meta data search program when there is no data on which to
search. So as to priorities, I would like to see some of these
smaller collections receive better assistance so they can participate
in these bigger plans of which they too will benefit immensely.

Shae Trewin.