Lenny's - maybe

Clay Taylor CTaylor at worldnet.att.net
Sun Aug 27 08:03:43 EDT 2000

Hi All -
    Saturday afternoon at the pond on Boardman Road, E. Haddam, the =
Joe-Pye Weed patches were pretty good - multiple Peck's Skippers, =
Silver-spots, N.B. Dashes, a Tawny-edged Skipper, E.T. Blues, Pearl =
Crescents, Tiger Swallowtail.  As I was trying to turn a well-marked =
female N. Broken-Dash into something better, a large skipper came in, =
buzzed around the patch two times, and flew away from the road and =
around the bushes about 50 feet away.  The size, flight style and color =
were right for my first Leonard's Skipper of the year, but I never saw =
it sitting.  They will often behave like that - buzz the flowers, then =
go off and sit motionless on a leaf for 10 or 15 minutes at a time.

    Also went to Ballek's Gardens on Maple St. and Rt 151 - the field by =
Rt. 151 is AWESOME!!  Scattered patches of Joe-Pie Weed, Goldenrod, NY =
Ironweed, some kind of mint, heavy grasses and thistles, all with =
different vegetation heights.  It's perfect.  Butterflies seen includes =
12+ E.Tiger Swallowtails, at least 6 Monarchs, Meadow Fritillary, G.S. =
Fritillary, both Sulphurs, Cabbage Whites, E.T. Blues, 30+ Least =
Skippers,  Peck's Skippers, Dun Skipper, Tawny-edged Skipper, and =
Silver-spotted Skippers.  The only thing I expected to see and didn't =
was American Lady, and the place should be a prime spot for Leonard's =
Skipper (my lifer was found only a half-mile away from there at the Mt. =
Parnassus Skating Rink).

Clay Taylor