Salt Marsh Skipper in Connecticut?

JH jhimmel at connix.com
Sun Aug 26 14:18:38 EDT 2001

Panoquina panoquin is not listed among the butterflies found on the atlas project, nor does it appear on the CBA checklist which was compiled with the help of the people Clay mentioned.  However, the checklist was prepared three years prior to the "mysterious" report in '98.  If it was found in '98 it appears that it wasn't reported to the atlas committee (the cenus was still in progress at that time).   In fact, it is not even listed on the page "Missing Species List".

It would be nice to know more about that reference to it in Butterflies Through Binoculars.  I would imagine, as Lenny Brown suggested to Clay, that since any Salt Marsh Skipper found in CT would find itself at the extreme north of its range, Fairfield County would offer the best odds for finding it - not that it's ever a bad idea to look for them when you are in the right habitat no matter where in the state it is!

Still dreaming of finding CT's first Early Hairstreak in the NW corner one of these springs! - right Clay?

John
John Himmelman
Killingworth, CT USA
jhimmel at connix.com