two moths

bill and Dale droberts03 at snet.net
Sat Jul 21 20:30:51 EDT 2001

Hi everbody,
Trying to keep up the two moth porch light post tradition but I got
sidetracked for awhile. These are Thursday night's moths-
Painted Lichen Moth (Hypoprepia fuscosa)- (Covel,  plate 12, # 2). This
is a beautiful little tiger moth with the geometric black and cream
colored pattern of the dorsal forewings tinged with rose-red.

Arched Hooktip (Drepana bilineata) (Covel, Plate 46, #2).  This common
but distinctly shaped moth is unmistakable and once it sets up next to
your porch light doesn't move for a long time.

That's my two. I have to make a correction on my post of last week when
I reported an Orange Sallow (Rhodoecia aurantiago). I did NOT find an
Orange Sallow and after review with those more experienced than I
determined that what I did find was the common Boardered Sallow (Pyrrhia
umbra). Oops. No excuses, just a hasty ID.

Bill Yule