East Haddam flying stuff 06/01

Clay Taylor CTaylor at swarovskioptik.com
Fri Jun 1 19:57:26 EDT 2001

All -

    Well, my morning started when I heard (even with the windows closed) "..FREE BEER!" from the backyard.  I walked out to see Yard Bird #140 - Olive-Sided Flycatcher!  Way cool!!!!

    A telephone call to John Himmelman managed to divert him (along with Bill Yule) to stand in my backyard looking at the OS Fly (new CT bird for both of them), and counting Red Admirals (only 2 today).  We then went to Brainard Homestead SP, the CAS's Harlo Haagerson Preserve, and the Mt. Parnassus Road Skating Rink for butterflies, birds, and dragonflies.

Butterfly list:
Black Swallowtail -1
Spicebush Sw. - 3
E. Tiger Sw. - 5+
Cabbage White - 1
Sulphur (prob. Orange) - 1
Am. Copper - 4
E. Tailed-Blue - 2
Spring Azure (is it getting too late for them?)
Pearl Crescent - lots, including some really fresh ones at the Rink
Red Admiral - 20+
American Lady - 3
Red-Spotted Purple - 1 (BHSP)
Little Wood-Satyr - too many to bother counting
Common Ringlet - 1 (Rink)
Juvenal's Duskywing - 4
Wild Indigo Duskywing - 2 (BHSP)
Least Skipper - 5+ (my first of the year in my yard, also BHSP and Rink)
Tawny-edged Skipper - LOTS
Long Dash - 1 (BHSP)
Hobomok Skipper - LOTS, including dark female "Pocohontas"
Zabulon Skipper - 1
Dusted Skipper - 7+ at HHP - a very pleasant surprise!

birds seen (or heard) -
Olive-sided Flycatcher
Hooded Warblers - HHP and BHSP
Chestnut-sided Warbler - singing at BHSP
Worm-eating Warbler - Creek Row Rd.
Cooper's Hawk - Mt. Parnassus Road
Indigo Bunting singing while on the wing at BHSP - I have never seen one do that before!

odonates ID'd (a slow, painful process) -
Beaverpond Baskettail
Ashy Clubtail
Painted Skimmer - a lifer for all at the Rink

Hope to see you on Sunday - 9am at the Rt 156 commuter lot off I-95.

Clay